Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

It is rare that Josh and I are able to spend a morning together. With him working on my days off and me working on his days off, we hardly ever get to sit and sip coffee in the same room at the same time. But today, because it was Saturday, I wasn't working, and because it was the Fourth of July and Josh's retail giant employer was closed, he wasn't working, that meant that today, we simultaneously sat on the couch with our coffee.

It's amazing how the introduction of an infant into your life can make you appreciate the smallest details.

After our coffee went cold, I went shopping with the bean queen. The combination of crappy economy plus holiday weekend created a formula for incredible bargains. I bought Lola two outfits (that will fit her circa Summer 2010) and I purchased a black bikini from GAP for $9. The swimsuit purchase was a shiny moment on two levels:
  1. I bought a two-piece swimsuit from GAP for $9. It was originally $56. Don't worry, both pieces match. :)
  2. I bought a two-piece swimsuit. A month ago I went swimsuit shopping and nearly broke down in tears when I realized under those god awful dressing room lights that my post-par tum body just wasn't ready for swimsuit season yet. And, while I'm not quite ready to pubicly wear the swimsuit, I am working on being swimsuit ready by August 10. Why August 10? Because that is when we are going on vacation. We're spending 5 days on the beach to escape this Northern California heat and darn it, I am spending those five days in a swimsuit.
After I reveled in my thrifty purchases to Josh, we went to a 4th of July BBQ. Lola sported some shades:



Lola enjoyed the company so much that she literally crashed on our host:



We left before the fireworks began, mostly because we know that not everyone in our family enjoys this holiday. When we came home, Archie was hiding in his kennel:



The county we live in permits firework sales. When we first moved here, we were surprised to learn of this news because our county is also urban and thick with trees. Adding fireworks to the mix doesn't seem to be the best idea, but apparently, that is just how it is. Unfortunately for us, and even more so for the Arch, is that people start setting fireworks off early...and then go late. At one point I tried to lure Archie out of his kennel, but that resulted in him running into Lola's room and attempting to crawl under her crib. This, of course, woke her up and she wailed a loud cry, which then scared Archie even more and caused him to run into the office and cower under the desk. I wish I had a photo of that to share with you.

Later, there will be more on Lola in her crib, but for now good night and I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday.

1 comment:

  1. She looks so vogue in those shades. By the way, your list of tagged terms is getting funnier and funnier.

    ReplyDelete