Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Different Kind of Love

If you couldn't already tell, Josh and I are dog people. I mean really, we are those people. Archibald and Gizmo own [multiple] outfits, their vet clinic resembles a day spa, and their dog food is organic. Every year, we celebrate their birthdays (Archie's is March 17 and Gizmo's is February 14) and due to a highly selective landlord of many moons ago, Archie has his own resume.

Really, we're that bad.

When I was pregnant, I was worried about the baby's impact on our relationship with our dogs. I read chapters and sought out websites with advice on how to minimize the impact of a new baby. I remember turning to Josh and saying, "Do you think it will be possible for me to love this baby more than Archie?"


I meant it. I did. Because really, I couldn't imagine loving anyone more than Archie. One time I made the mistake of saying aloud, "If there was a fire, I would rescue Archie first." Josh was insulted and wasn't consoled by my follow up: "You would be able save yourself. He would need me."

In the last few days of my pregnancy, we finalized our dog-meet-baby routine. We packed an extra baby blanket in the birth center bag with the intention to temporarily swaddle Lola in the blanket, then give the blanket to someone who would take it to our home and let the dogs sniff it. We felt this procedure would prepare the dogs for the newest member of our pack.

Of course, this plan never actually materialized. Lola squandered our plans by taking her very first pee on the blanket and we came home from the birth center approximately 10 hours after we left, but instead of a baby in the womb we had a baby in our arms. Archie wasn't thrilled, but a part of me believes he was thankful we didn't bring home another chi-weenie.



Since that day, Archie's enthusiasm has remained at a steady level of non-existent. He has always been a glass-half-empty sort of dog. His vet attributes it to Archie's greyhound genetics, "the melancholy breed." Regardless, I hope that once Lola can figure out how to pet (without grabbing), Archie will become a bigger fan of the bean. In the meantime, he likes to play the if-I don't-see-her-maybe-she-doesn't-exist game.





Now, on the other hand, Lola is highly entertained by Archie and Gizmo. In particular, Lola can't seem to get enough of Gizmo. Just yesterday, Lola was on the floor next to me and Gizmo ran up to us. Lola's eyes lit up as Gizmo rolled onto her back in anticipation of having her belly rubbed. Before I knew it, Lola gummed down on Gizmo's leg like she was eating Kentucky Fried Chicken on a Sunday afternoon. Instead of responding with her own bite, Gizmo kicked Lola in the forehead (and thus freed her leg from Lola) and then immediately began to lick the spot of impact. The events unfolded so quickly that I was left laughing at the end result.

Perhaps Lola confused Gizmo with her stuffed doggie that she loves? Sometimes when I change Lola's diaper, I let her (wo)manhandle her doggie.



She does love that dog.

I hope that one day she will learn to love Archie and Gizmo too. And, that they learn to love her back.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the morning chuckle D! I am right there with you on the dog issue. We have our two pups Sophie and Polar. They are definitely our kids now and I am worried how they will react to the baby. I think Sophie will be jealous and Polar will just stare at him in awe (and sneak in kisses whenever he can.) We'll see though... We have been working on Sophie not barking in the house, so as not to wake up a sleeping baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the not-so-much-a dog person as I am, I am glad that you love Lola more than Archie. :) I love the picture of Archie ignoring Lola--hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've disturbed the entire household laughing at this. Lola could win any beast over. Also, any post that uses the word "chi-weenie" is all right with me.

    ReplyDelete