Monday, May 18, 2009

Wave of Relief

I AM NOT GETTING A LAYOFF NOTICE.

Oh, thank God.

Earlier today, my boss informed me that employees with seven months or less of "service credit" would receive a notice. To qualify for a months of service credit, you must work eleven days in a month.

I started July 21, so July didn't qualify.

1. August.

2. September.

3. October

4. November

5. December

6. January

Lola was born February 7. I worked until February 5. But, even in February, I was concerned that if my employer were to conduct future layoffs, the layoffs would be based on these state service credits. So, I read the fine print of the HR documents and I posted 6 days of vacation, therefore "working" 11 days in February before going on maternity leave.

7. February

In March, I planned on taking a full 12 weeks of maternity leave. This would have kept me out of the office until early May. But then, in early April, the combination of financial need, slight boredom, and fear of the ever looming service credit, made me re-think my early position and I returned to the office on April 16th -- just in time to post 11 working days in April.

8. April

Lo and behold, I made it.

I also received two months of service credit from when I worked in the office as an law school intern. So, technically, I have 10 months of service credit.

I am safe. (For now.)

4 comments:

  1. Thank God you're a lawyer. Not all of us are good about reading the fine print. As soon as I can afford to put you on retainer, I'm going to....just for instances like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! What a RELIEF! I am SO happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am happy for you. I hope things continue to go your way.
    To answer your question, things are going well here, I am still sleeping pretty good, but yet feeling tired, but I guess that's goes with the territory. Only about 7 weeks left...craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. phew! What a relief! I'm so glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete