I figured this year would be the year. I would be ridiculously out of shape, but I would play. Plus, October is one of the most beautiful months of the year in Minnesota. All the leaves change color, and autumn is in full swing.
Or, um, you see snow fall (as well as turkeys crossing the road) while driving.
And then, the day you are scheduled to play in the alum game, you go outside and the car is covered in snow.
Yeah, soccer in the snow. Just the reason why I moved home to California.
A few years ago, I would have played. Shoot, I would have played in nothing but shorts and a jersey, and afterwards, I would have proudly displayed the giant red octagon imprints the soccer ball left on the inside of my thigh because in 35 DEGREE WEATHER, THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS.
So, I did something that I think falls into the "adult" category. I did what any sane adult with an eight month old infant would do. I opted out. I said, no thanks, left my shinguards in my suitcase, tortured my kid for a bit by taking some outdoor photos of her and then went shopping at the Mall of America.
Luckily, Ehlan had an extra bunting that I could put Lola in. Lola was NOT a fan of the snow. NOT at all. I believe my choice to skip the soccer game (and therefore not subject her to sitting outdoors for 90 minutes) was a smart choice.
In fact when she touched snow for the first time, she looked up at me, and her eyes welled up.
I think it is pretty obvious who is the native Minnesotan.
I love the photo below as well. It's as if Aidan is comforting her, "Don't worry, it's OK, we're going inside soon."
Regardless of the snow, we still made a special trip to alma mater. Oh, the beloved St. Kate's.
Ehlan and I like to joke about how one day Lola will be a first year and Olivia will be an upperclassswoman and show her the ropes. In the photo above, they are sitting in one of the chairs in Derham Parlor that no one ever dares to sit in. Our little future Katies. :)
I love our little Katies :) And I love the pic of A & L with the pumpkin. I miss you guys!!!!
ReplyDeleteNotice that the native Minnesotan has his mittens on. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the future Katies! I used to sit in that chair when I worked in admissions...it was much less daunting when no one else was around! :)
ReplyDeleteThe cold makes my eyes well up, too!
ReplyDeleteOh, Lola, it's just those blasted tearducts.