Monday, January 25, 2010

For once, maternal guilt saves the day.

Tonight, while we waited for Josh to finish making dinner, Lola and I sat on the living room floor. My laptop sat on my legs and Lola sat with her red plastic bucket. I browsed Amazon, as she looked at her colorful shape-shaped blocks that were spread across the carpet.

Lola picked up a blue circle. She examined it, as if she were trying to decide whether it was worthy of sticking into her mouth for a quick nibble before retiring it to the bucket. Without mouthing it, she tossed it in the bucket. Her next choice was a yellow triangle. She throws it in the bucket without hesistation.

Watching how thoughtful she was being with her blocks, I began to feel guilty for looking at Amazon rather than engaging my baby in play. I put the laptop to the side and scooted closer to Lola.

"What's this? A green square?" She gripped it tightly, and began to move it toward her mouth.

"Wait, Lola. I think there's some kiwi on it, or something." I could see something black and hanging off the side of the square. I pryed the shape from her fingers.

"Let Mommy fix it and then, you can have it -- OMGWHATTHEJOSHHELP WOOORRRMMMMMM!"

Hanging off the tip of my finger was a small slimy black worm with its insides on its outsides. A nasty bloody worm that moments ago almost made its way into my sweet baby girl's mouth.

Now that my friends, is some mother's intuition.

4 comments:

  1. I imagine her reaction to that would have been similar to her reaction to citrus fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some countries that would be a delicacy...not here...not my grandbaby lol...glad you saved the day sweetie

    ReplyDelete