Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reese and Elliott

I'm sorry for the long break in between posts.

We spent the last week of March traveling down to Southern California to spend time with family and friends. We drove down to Southern California and if you how far north we live and have ever spent more than 20 minutes in the car with a baby/small child/monster, you shouldn't be surprised to hear that we are still recovering from the drive itself.

Our primary reason for traveling down south was to attend a baby shower for Josh's baby sister, Rachel. I guess I should revise that sentence to say, Josh's younger sister, as she is certainly no longer a baby.

Pregnant with twins, Rachel was due June 10, but the universe seemed to have a different plan. Reese and Elliott joined our family on March 16. Born at 27.5 weeks gestation, their arrival was bittersweet.

I am overjoyed that they are alive. They are breathing. They are able to eat with assistance. They are receiving very good medical care.

But they are struggling. Specifically, my sweet sweet nephew Reese is struggling. I have no actual details to share, as I know of none. All I have been told is, Reese is not doing well.

Reese needs to be well. Reese and Elliott both need to be well.

And Rachel. She needs to be well too. I can't form the words to describe how she must feel as I have never faced such circumstances myself.

Knowing that my family is going through something of this magnitude, I have felt that blogging about the trivial events in my life is insensitive. The fact that I have mentally debated now for four straight days as to whether I want to spend $10 and put together an Easter basket for Lola even though she will have no idea what it is, seems ridiculous to me. At the same time, I know that most of my family members read my blog and so maybe trivial ridiculousness would help distract us all from the very serious reality we are currently experiencing.

I don't know. I just want everyone to be OK.

4 comments:

  1. We're praying for Reese, Elliott, and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll say some prayers for them. *hugs* to all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D, I'm at a loss for words and can only say That Reese and Elliot and Rachel and her whole family, unknown to me by name, will be in the front of my mind daily, and every time I think about them, I'll send up another prayer.
    I love you guys like family and hate that you are in pain.

    ReplyDelete